Central California Alliance for Health
October 8, 2017
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA ALLIANCE FOR HEALTH (“THE ALLIANCE”), SCOTTS VALLEY, CA
Do you thrive in a dynamic environment? Does the opportunity to work collaboratively with a senior management team that strives for excellence appeal to you? If so, Central California Alliance for Health (“The Alliance”) has an exciting opportunity for a senior level Operations professional that you may want to consider!
The Alliance is an award-winning regional non-profit health plan, established in 1996, with over 20 years of successful operation. Using the State’s County Organized Health System (COHS) model, they currently serve over 355,000 members in Santa Cruz, Monterey and Merced counties and work in partnership with their contracted providers to promote prevention, early detection, effective treatment and to improve access to quality health care for their members. This results in the delivery of innovative community-based health care services, better medical outcomes and cost savings. The Alliance is governed with local representation from each county on its Board of Commissioners.
The Alliance is a health plan that was developed to improve access to health care for lower income residents who often lacked a primary care “medical home” and so relied on emergency rooms for basic services. The Alliance has pursued its mission by linking members to primary care physicians and clinics that deliver timely services and preventive care and arranging referrals to specialty care.
Ideally situated, Scotts Valley is a small city in Northern Santa Cruz County about twenty miles south of San Jose and six miles north of the beach in the upland slope of the Santa Cruz Mountains. With a population that ranges around 11,000, Scotts Valley is near Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, and Roaring Camp Railroads. The town is surrounded by redwood forests. The scenic coastal city of Santa Cruz lies to the south.
Santa Cruz County’s 29 miles of beaches offer the perfect setting for nearly every type of activity. However, its beaches are just the beginning of all there is to see and do in Santa Cruz County. Please visit Santa Cruz County Conference & Visitor Council’s website at http://www.santacruzca.org for more information.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and located at the company’s headquarters office in Scotts Valley, the COO provides executive management and leadership to the Operations Division, including core health plan operating functions (e.g. Claims, Member Services, Provider Services, etc.). The COO organizes and integrates Alliance operations across all Divisions and provides executive leadership in interdepartmental projects and on the implementation of new business plans, policies and programs. The COO communicates performance to internal and external stakeholders and in partnership with the Chief team, participates in strategic planning of the organization. In addition, the COO:
- Provides executive management and leadership to Alliance Operations Division departments;
- Organizes and integrates Alliance operations;
- Provides executive leadership in new business plans, policies, programs and projects to ensure high quality results;
- Communicates Alliance operational performance and capabilities to customers, regulators, staff and the governing board;
- Participates in strategic planning and goal setting for the Alliance; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides executive management and leadership to Alliance Operations Division departments, with duties including but not limited to:
- Advancing the Alliances’ mission and operational effectiveness through executive supervision of planning, implementation and monitoring of Department operations, work plans and processes;
- Supervising Operations Directors in setting goals, objectives and standards, implementing work plans, monitoring and evaluating performance, and providing coaching/counseling as needed.
- Organizes and integrates Alliance operations, with duties including but not limited to:
- Organizing and optimizing departmental and interdepartmental operations on current and new business operations;
- Overseeing the design and implementation of standard and ad hoc reports to measure performance and analyze business issues;
- Identifying opportunities for efficient and effective operations between departments, and organizing cross-departmental solutions to business challenges; and
- Ensuring continuous administrative quality improvement across the organization.
- Provides executive leadership in new business plans, policies, programs and projects to ensure high quality results, with duties including but not limited to:
- Developing, interpreting, recommending, implementing and evaluating Board and operational policies;
- Organizing approach to implementing new Board policies or business plans, including operational feasibility analyses, work plan development, implementation and evaluation;
- Identifying clear outcomes and monitoring progress and evaluation towards goals; and
- Approving budgeting and allocation of resources.
- Communicates Alliance operational performance and capabilities to customers, regulators, staff and the governing board, with duties including but not limited to:
- Developing and presenting reports as required.
- Participates in strategic planning and goal setting for the Alliance, with duties including but not limited to:
- Anticipating and forecasting industry trends affecting Alliance operations;
- Setting proactive goals and developing opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations, to benefit customer service, administrative quality, and operating efficiency;
- Participating in new business planning and development; and
- Developing and maintaining analytic reports and performance metrics related to strategic goals and projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Business, Public Health or Health Administration or a related field;
- Eight (8) years of management experience within a health care organization (managed care, prepaid health system, and experience with the Medi-Cal program is strongly preferred), which includes experience overseeing general and fiscal operations, customer service and provider relations, health care information systems, and regulatory compliance functions; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be qualifying.
JOB SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the California Medi-Cal program and entitlement programs;
- Working knowledge of health care fiscal principles and operations;
- Working knowledge of managed care provider payment methods and contracting;
- Knowledge of public policy and regulatory issues in health care;
- Knowledge of customer service and quality improvement methods;
- General knowledge of Utilization Management/Quality Assurance systems and procedures;
- General knowledge of Management Information Systems applications in health care systems; and
- Ability to plan, direct, assign, supervise and evaluate the work of others.
ALLIANCE STANDARD KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with Alliance staff and others contacted in the course of the work;
- Ability to assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope of authority of the position;
- Ability to think and work effectively under pressure and accurately complete tasks within established times;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; and
- Valid California Driver’s License, transportation and automobile liability insurance in limits acceptable to the Alliance.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Enjoy working by and to a set vision and mission
- Develop strategies for the organization and determine organizational initiatives
- Make connections and help others make meaning in their work
- Model the organization’s values and motivate staff to be innovative and engaged
- Build capacity within the Operations Division and the organization
- Actively develop direct reports and empower them through delegation in their day-to-day decisions
- Maintain focus on strategy, policy and budgetary decisions
- Create and encourage positive growth and change across the organization
- Translate organizational goals into practical, concrete actions for growth and improvement
- Prioritize issues and focus on areas of high importance and impact
- Ensure all decisions made by self or staff support established strategies and goals and improve performance
- Hold self and others answerable for job performance
- Take ownership of commitments and embody The Alliance’s values
- Have excellent communication skills, with ability to flex style and engage every audience through active listening
- Build relationships across the organization to effectively move the work forward
If challenge, a chance to make a difference, job stability, work/life balance and continued professional growth and evolution are important to you, this is an opportunity you’ll want to consider!
For further information, please contact:
Mary Niccum or Susan Pisarik
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Alliance reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
The Alliance is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.